Macroalgae/seaweeds: I am interested in all aspects of macroalgae utilisation, from cultivation through to product with previous work including examination of drying, pressing and/or milling; water and chemical extractions; enzymic hydrolysis and/or fermentations; and thermal treatments to chars and composts. Access to the BEACON pilot-scale facility has enabled me to project manage a 1,000kg seaweed processing contract research project between summer 2020 – Feb 2021.
Long-term projects involved with:
BEACON. The BEACON Biorefining Centre of Excellence (www.beaconwales.org) focuses on company assistance and collaboration to improve the economics and skills within Wales. Within BEACON I have identified, arranged contracts with and completed 15 research and development collaborations with 9 different companies since 2017. I have another 2 collaborations with companies currently underway (both new companies). Collaboration work has included trialling novel processing (e.g. pressing), drying (e.g. belt drying) or filtering (e.g. cross-flow filtration) to generate new products or improve processes for the companies; other projects included conducting pot trials growing seedlings with company-supplied extracts or composts to assess their potential as plant fertilisers or composts.
Oats. Within the core strategic programme (CSP), (http://www.resilientcrops.org/) I am involved in the characterisation and quality analysis of β-glucan content within oat varieties.
Projects/Funding starting in 2021:
- Marie Skłodowska Curie Action Fellowship on simultaneous saccharification and fermentation for valorising Ulva spp. from macroalgal blooms
- FoodBioSystems DTP studentship: Producing an antiviral, antimicrobial, biodegradable plastic from seaweed. Collaboration with Cranfield University and Samworth Brothers
- FoodBioSystems DTP studentship: Investigating the effect of a seaweed-derived common food ingredient (carrageenan) on the human gut microbiome. Led by University of Reading with Cargill.
- University funded research (URF) determining the composition of two key commercial red seaweeds (Kappaphycus alvarezii and Eucheuma denticulatum) through their growth cycle. Collaboration with Marine Algae Products, a company in the Philippines
- University funded research (CIDRA) determining the composition of mature and juvenile brown sugar kelp (Saccharina latissima). Collaboration with Car y Mor, a Welsh seaweed cultivation company
- Joy Welch Educational Memorial Trust funding to steam explode green seaweed (Ulva spp.) to determine this technique as a route for releasing valuable sugars.
Starting in 2020:
- Contract research for processing 1 tonne brown kelp (Saccharina latissima and Laminaria digitata) to multiple product outputs.
- Fishmongers’ Company MSc sponsorship award to trial green seaweed-derived char (Ulva spp.) as a soil amendment
- Business Innovation Voucher from BBNet NIBB, BBSRC with contract research-paid extension to explore hydrolysis and fermentation of innovatively-processed municipal solid waste.
Dr Jessica Adams is a Senior Research Scientist in Bioconversion and Biorefining, with a specialist interest in macroalgae (seaweeds), oats and aquatic plants. Her research interests are: carbohydrate and higher value compound extractions and quantifications, novel enzyme discovery and larger (pilot) scale processing. She has a number of highly cited papers in this area (h-index=11) and has been PI or Co-I on grants worth +£3.1M including those from BBSRC, EPSRC, Welsh Government and Innovate UK. She has a number of highly cited peer-reviewed papers on macroalgae research and currently has a Marie Skłodowska Curie Fellow, 4x PhD and 2x MSc students working within this area. She sits on boards for Algae-UK (BBSRC), Seafood Innovation Fund (Defra) and AberInnovation enterprise campus; and is a Non-executive Director of the company GreenSeas Resources
- 2018-2021: Biorefining problem macroalgae to produce selected high value products. KESS2 studentship in conjunction with GreenSeas Resources
- 2018-2021: How does harvesting of problem macroalgae within Milford Haven affect the ecology of receiving habitats? KESS2 studentship in conjunction with GreenSeas Resources
- 2021-2024: Producing an antiviral, antimicrobial, biodegradable plastic from seaweed. FoodBioSystems DTP studentship in collaboration with Cranfield University and Samworth Brothers
- 2021-2024: Investigating the effect of a seaweed-derived common food ingredient (carrageenan) on the human gut microbiome. FoodBioSystems DTP studentship led by University of Reading in collaboration with Cargill.
I am the module coordinator for module Bioconversion and Biorefining BRM3720
I lecture on a range of modules (Aquatic Botany BR25820; Crop and Grassland Production Science BR32020, Current Topics in Biotechnology BRM0720; Bioconversion and Biorefining BRM3720).
I am a tutor to first years, through the semester 1 module Study and Communication skills (BR12410) and semester 2 modules Molecular Laboratory Skills (BR12210) or Wildlife Forensics (BR15720). Tutoring then continues throughout second year and for third year and Masters project students.