Department of Modern Languages
Hugh Owen Building
I am the Departmental Part 2 Tutor (Second and Final Year). I am also the scheme coordinator for Single Honours French Studies. I am also Library Liasons Officer and NSS Champion.
- Travel culture and travel literature in Europe
- Early modern French intellectual history
- Writing and reading practices in early modern France
- History of French journalism
- My first monograph, "Philosophies du voyage: visiter l'Angleterre aux 17e-18e siècles" was published in 2016 by the Voltaire Foundation (Oxford). I have published papers, mostly on matters relating to travel in early modern France, in Nottingham French Studies, Compar(a)ison, Seventeenth-Century French Studies and La Lecture littéraire, as well as in a series of conference volumes.
- My second monograph, : "Lessons of Travel in 18th-Century France: From Grand Tour to School Trips", is due in spring 2020 with Boydell and Brewer for the British Society of Eighteenth-Century Studes)
- I am co-editing a volume with Dr Rachel Willie (Liverpool John Moores) on travel and conflict for Routledge.
- I am in the process of developing a new research topic on travel and heath, and particularly on seasickness.
- Another new research topic combines the histories of travel, women, and colonization
I am a specialist of French culture, literature and history, specializing in cultures of travel. I hold a PhD in History from the Ecoles des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris (2009), and a PhD in French from ELTE University Budapest (2005), as well as an MA in Cultural Anthropology. I have not yet decided whether I am a historian, a literary scholar or maybe a specialist of historical anthropology, and must admit I am happy to live in uncertainty on this point.
I have a 'tea and chat' policy - if the light is on, you are welcome to knock at any time, with any questions.
I am the co-director of the Aberystwyth-Bangor Institute of Medieval and Early Modern Studies (IMEMS).
I blog infrequently on travel-related matters on http://cultureoftravel.wordpress.com .
I teach a variety of modules in the department. I teach literary, cultural and historical content modules on Fantastic Literature, Humour, Self-Writing and and a research skills module on Travel and Literature. I share with Dr Marieke Mueller and Kader Izri the first year module Introduction to French Studies. I teach the French component of Language and European Identity. My language teaching covers translation and grammar at all levels.