Department of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences
My main area of research is in Carboniferous palaeobotany especially the taxonomy, geographic and stratigraphic distribution and ecology of the lycophytes and calamites. I am a participant of of IGCP 575: Pennsylvanian terrestrial habitats and biotas of southeastern Euramerica. My other research interests are geoconservation (currently working at a Carboniferous exposure (GCR and SSSI) at Brymbo, Wrexham) and living pteridophytes.
- Lord Adams Research Fellow (University of Newcastle upon Tyne)
- Head of Life Sciences & Dean of Science and Mathematics, Goldsmiths' College, London. Keeper of Botany, National Museum of Wales, Cardiff. Professor, Geography department, University College Lampeter.
- Lecturer, Cape Coast University Ghana
- Research Fellow of the National Museum of Wales.
- Winstone Churchill Felllow 1995
- Trustee of: the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales, British Institute for Geological Conservation, Pensions Committee of the National Museum of Wales.
- Member of the Advisory Group to the National Library.
- Past President of the British Pteridological Society.
- Lead member for long term conservation and interpretation of a Carboniferous plant fossil site at Brymbo, Wrexham.