Daearyddiaeth a Gwyddorau Daear
- Allbynnau ymchwil
- Eitemau'r wasg/cyfryngau
Community activities include:
2018-, UK Correspondent: _International Association of Cryospheric Sciences.
2016-, Core Member: Natural Environment Research Council's Peer Review College.
2000-, UK Correspondent: _International Glaciological Society.
2016-19, Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface.
2013-2016, Editor of Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface.
2010-2013, Associate Editor of Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface.
2020- Director of Research, Department of Geography & Earth Sciences, Aberystwyth University.
2011- Professor, Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences, Aberystwyth University.
2009- Director of the Centre for Glaciology, Department of Geography and Earth Sciences, Aberystwyth University.
2013-16 Director of Research, Institute of Geography, History, Politics and Psychology, Aberystwyth University.
2011-16 Director of Research, Department of Geography and Earth Sciences, Aberystwyth University.
2005-2011 Reader in Glaciology. Centre for Glaciology, Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences, UW Aberystwyth.
2001-2004 Senior Lecturer in Glaciology. Centre for Glaciology, Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences, UW Aberystwyth.
1994-2000 Lecturer in Glaciology. Centre for Glaciology, Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences, UW Aberystwyth.
1992-1994 Post-doctoral Research Associate. Department of Geography, University of Cambridge. ('Water storage, drainage evolution and water quality in Alpine glacial environments').
1988-1992 Ph.D. Glaciology. Fitzwilliam College and Department of Geography, University of Cambridge ('Basal ice facies and their formation in the western Alps').
1983-1986 B.A. Geography (First Class). Christ Church and School of Geography, University of Oxford.
Current research interests include:
- Using hot-water to drill boreholes in glaciers to investigate ice properties and englacial and basal processes
- Links between subglacial drainage and ice motion via hot-water borehole access.
- Ice shelf structure and ice characteristics, including ice coring and hot-water drilling.
- The physical character of glacier ice and basal ice.
- Optical televiewing (OPTV) of boreholes in glaciers, ice sheets and ice shelves.
- Technique development: Tsanfleuron Glacier, Switzerland.
- Structural glaciology and sediment transfer: Midre Lovénbreen, Svalbard & Khumbu Glacier, Nepal
- Ice shelf structure: Roi Baudouin Ice Shelf & Larsen C Ice Shelf, Antarctica.
- Ice sheet structure: NEEM deep borehole, Greenland.
- Ice stream processes: Store Glacier, Greenland.
- Basal ice physical properties and processes of formation and deformation.
- The structure and dynamics of glacial lakes and drainage systems.
- The physical character of subglacial sediment.
- The occurrence and character of glacier-like forms on Mars.
Research experience includes 32 consecutive years of fieldwork at glaciers in Antarctica, Greenland, Svalbard, the European Alps, Peru, Nepal, the Canadian Rockies, Norway, and the Canadian Arctic.